Heywood Prep has a clear ethos. Every moment of the school day, we seek to:
Provide a safe and happy environment for all our pupils, staff, parents and visitors
- We will ensure that all members of our school community are committed to safeguarding the children in our care, and we will constantly monitor, evaluate and seek opportunities to improve the security and safety of our site.
- We will encourage a sense of community in which our pupils feel safe and comfortable, have the opportunity to learn, play and build friendships across year groups, and in which parents are welcome and actively involved in school life.
- We will provide a strong pastoral system, led by our Form Tutors, in which our children take pride in caring for each other and the school community as a whole.
Expect and reward good manners, responsible behaviour and a positive attitude in all our pupils
- We will maintain a clear and fair system for managing our pupils’ conduct, reward kindness and positive behaviour and ensure that rules and consequences are well understood and consistently applied.
- We will take every opportunity to reinforce the good manners and positive attitude we expect from our pupils and give our eldest pupils positions of responsibility through which they can act as role models.
Engender a love of learning in every pupil through an exciting, engaging and relevant curriculum
- We will develop and deliver a curriculum which is exciting, engaging and relevant, encompassing enrichment days, an increased use of technology in the classroom and creating opportunities to learn across subjects and year groups.
- We will recruit and retain teachers with a real passion for their subjects, provide them with support and training to continuously enhance their practice, and ensure they have the resources and equipment necessary to engage their classes.
Provide every pupil with the opportunity, the confidence and the support to achieve amazing things
- We will provide opportunities for all our pupils to excel, through the curriculum, sports, creative subjects and through a broad range of extra-curricular activities, and support them to achieve their goals.
- We will build our pupils’ confidence in the classroom, on the sports pitch, on stage and in the playground, encouraging them to try and not to fear failure.
Prepare children for life after Heywood Prep
- We will maintain close links with senior schools, both independent and maintained, and help parents to identify and secure entry to the most appropriate senior school for their child, tailoring our support to the specific requirements of each child.
- We will ensure our Year 6 leavers are confident, well prepared and excited about taking the next step into senior school.